For my ECE Senior Design project my team made an improved Lava Lamp and we won the "Most Marketable Project" Award! Here is a link to the project.
The basic idea is that traditional lava lamps are:
- Slow to heat up and even to begin "lava-ing"
- Dangerous when left on for too long
- Not very interactive
Our Improved Lava Lamp Fixes this by:
- Using a set of heating resistors on a metal plate to heat the lamp faster
- Using temperature sensors and regulating the temperature to safe levels
- Adding Button-Selectable Multi-color LEDs
You can see a time-lapse of a traditional Lava Lamp as well as our Improved version below. The action starts at 0:55 in the first video and about 0:10 or so in the second. Both videos are played at x50 speed.